BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Neurology Appointment

We took Autumn for her first Neurology appointment this week. In case you are unaware of what we have been facing, Autumn has been having episodes of dazing out that last a couple of seconds. During these episodes she pauses and stares. I would love to think they are daydreaming, and although that is still a possibility we (her parents, and then neurologist) are leaning toward the fact that she may be having Absence Seizures. They mimic daydreaming, except that the person will only be partially conscious. If we say her name, or clap she does not respond until the spell breaks. Another symptom is the awkwardness of her movements. Often times we notice that she moves with a stiffness, apparently, thats a sign of having just had a seizure. The doctor said he would be very surprised if this is not the case. If he could have gotten her to seize in the office, from hyperventilating, he would have given a prescription immediately. Unfortunately, she got very frustrated with the method and wouldn't participate, so we are going to take her for an EEG on June 3rd. I am trying to get that moved up, and will update if we get in somewhere. If no issues are found on the first EEG he will send her for a 24 hour EEG, because this seems like a high possibility for her. Right now, I don't know what to think. On one hand I just need answers for the problems she is having. On the other hand, who would ever wish their child to have disorder in their brain? Not me. So, this is hard, and the mystery is not solved yet. We can use all the prayers you can muster, just keep my girl in your thoughts. Thanks for all the support and understanding.

6 comments:

Stacey G. said...

I am sending all the good thoughts her way, for sure. She deserves some answers and resolution, I hope that is found soon!

Unknown said...

I will keeping you and Autumn in my thoughts and prayers. You are such a wonderful mom and Autumn is truely an angel!

kt said...

Autumn and all of you are in my prayers. I pray that you have strength and peace and that you are able to discover what is behind your concerns for.

Jen(doubleboobydutyjen) said...

I really hope an answer is found and a treatment plan that works established. My thoughts and prayers for you guys while you process through this and get the answers you need.

Kelly said...

Sweetie, there is nothing wrong with being scared about the possibility of your child having such a disorder. Epilepsy is very common, as you know, and people do very well with medication.

I will definitely keep Autumn in my prayers now, the day she has her EEG (which is painless btw, I administered many of them when i was working), through diagnosis and beyond.

Thinking of you always sweetie. Stay strong and know that you have so much support from those near you and far away.

Hugs to you!!!

Britney said...

Wow. I'm sorry... I can only imagine how hard this is on you and the rest of the family to go through. Knowing there is a possibility but not having any reassuring confirmation... I pray that there are definite answers soon.

You are such a strong and wonderful Mother. Autumn is one lucky girl.

Praying for answers for you and little Autumn.